February 6, 2015

Update!


You can thank Dad for this update. He told me the other day that he missed seeing updates on here :)

The thing is, it's been so long- I don't know where to start! Maybe I'll just start with all the stuff that's been occupying my time lately.

1) ESSENTRICS!! So, if you're friends with me on FB, you'll know I spend a lot of time talking about this fitness program. It's the best! I first started doing it the week I moved back from Sweden, back in 2008. I was so out of shape, still recovering from my appendectomy, and set Dad's DVR to any free fitness show I could find. Lo and behold, PBS had one called "Classical Stretch" (hosted by Miranda Esmonde-White), which sounded easy enough.... it was only 25 minutes long, but after trying it, I felt that same feeling in my muscles that I'd get from ballet class. It's an endorphin high that's very different from all the bike riding I did. Basically, I was hooked, and did it for years in Boise. When I moved out here, WGBH doesn't air it, so I started trying the Essentrics DVDs (hosted by her daughter, Sahra Esmonde-White), wished there were live classes here, and decided to teach them myself!

I'm now certified at Level 1 (ie, teaching group classes), and am the only one so far in Massachusetts! Which is very difficult, since I'm completely new at figuring out the fitness scene here. It's not like Boise, where everyone's connected. But it's fun, and my Saturday class is growing, little by little. I spend a lot of time each day either doing the workout, working on my Level 2 training, learning anatomy, memorizing routines, promoting classes, responding to inquiries, or submitting inquiries myself. I definitely had no idea when I first pursued certification how intensive it would be, but I'm completely hooked! And it's great how tight-knit the instructor community is- I've made so many new friends through social media and teacher training workshops (taught by Miranda herself!) 

A couple different Essentrics stretches, plus pics of me with Sahra and Miranda. #humblebrag


2) WINTER. And Snow. It's insane here. It feels like every year is more dramatic! In 2011, there was hardly any snow, and this year we're at 40 inches and counting. I secretly love walking through the giant snow mazes to work or the train station, but I hate the delays, the cold, the ice, and the dirty slush. I love blizzard days, but I hate the end of the month, when you see how much those snow days actually cost you.

MBTA workers. Railroad tracks. Frozen River Charles. Snow maze.


3) SUPERBOWL! I know. Total surprise, like that time I took up running for 2 weeks last July. I normally hate football, but that game was as good as the Fiesta Bowl back in the day! Me and Chris watched it with our GGG friends/bandmates. It's always fun with them, seeing as how the only time most of us watch football is when the guys play the Pats pre-show.

On the field. With Vince Wilfork. GGG before doing the National Anthem. Essentrics!

4) WORK. Babies and kids. I spend 2 days with one family (baby (I) and toddler (O)) and 2 days with the other (7 year old (M) and 9 year old (HS)), and it's kinda nice to have that switch. I can go for walks and take naps at one job, then play legos and go sledding at the other. I'm in uncharted territory with O- I realized I've never actually nannied a 3 year old before! And with M, I feel like I've been taking care of this morphing boy figure since 2008 that goes by different names (E, G). HS is at such a fun age, and I is at possibly my favorite age of all time-- brand new at walking and barely talking.... it's the cutest! (No pics of these kids, sorry!)


So, that's a quick update. And yes, things with Chris are great! The guys aren't very busy typically in January, so we've been making our way through TV shows. We've dropped the Walking Dead (just got to be too much!), picked up The Killing (must.solve.mysteries!) and random lighter fare, like my old favorite Gavin and Stacey, Great British Baking Show, or Brooklyn Nine-Nine. So yeah, it might seem like I'm busy most nights, but I'm prolly just watching TV ;) Oh, and we've been making lots of soup lately! We've got a book called The Soup Bible, and there have been NO bad recipes so far! We've had Lentil & Turkey, Ribolatta, some leek and white bean dish, and another kind. It's late- I forget!

And honestly, I feel like my news is nothing compared to Avery and her Chris's exciting arrival!! Should be any day now!!!

I'll try to update more often.... Ideally, would be once a month, but even once a season would feel like an achievement! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment